Monday, September 21, 2015

Estimating Distances

If you had no ruler how would you measure an object. Well I'm going to measure the front of my house. But I don't have a  ruler at all. So how am I going to measure....
Well here is my procedure...
1) in class I measured how many of my foot make 1 meter (4 of them) 
2) I measure the front of my house 
3) if it's 4 feet that means it's 1 meter 
4) if it's a little more of the foot I just estimate to the closest meter 
    Ok my results are 2.12 meters.
The procedure I did was that I walked four steps which I knew was 1 meter, then I walked another four steps and that makes another meter, then when I kept walking to make the last step it took half my foot.( 1 of my foot was 24cm) so I cut the 24 in half and I got 12 so I just add the 2 meters plus 12 and I got 2.12 meters. 

   Reasonable or Unreasonable?
My results (2.12m) is reasonable because I measured it and I was making sure my measurements were accurate. And also it makes sense because it has to be a little bigger than a meter if it's the front of my house so I need to measure from wall to wall. 

1 comment: